Applications now being accepted from ABE programs to become Standard Adult Diploma Programs (due March 3, 2020 by 4:30 p.m. to firstname.lastname@example.org). This is for new ABE consortia that want to offer the standard adult diploma and for current ABE consortia that would like to expand the standard adult diploma to additional sites.
Standard Adult High School Diploma: In 2014 the Minnesota legislature approved a new, competency-based option for adults to obtain a secondary credential. Prior to the standard adult diploma, there were only two high school completion options for adults in MN:
1. K-12 Diploma (Credit Completion): Traditional programs that lead to a high school diploma from a K-12 school district, typically using a credit-completion model. Due to the intensive time commitment for adult students and expensive resource commitment for programs, this model is not available in many Minnesota ABE programs.
2. Test-Based Secondary Credential: GED testing is a battery of 4 tests, which after successful completion of all 4 results in a general education diploma. In 2014, a more rigorous version of the GED replaced the previous version. The new test is only available in a computer-based format, which is a barrier for some students.
The standard adult diploma provides an important and valuable alternative to these two existing options. As of August 2019, more than 650 individuals have been awarded a standard adult diploma.
- Standard Adult High School Diploma Overview Word doc (updated January 2020)
- Standard Adult High School Diploma Presentation Powerpoint (updated August 2014): Presentation that walks through the development of the new state adult diploma.
- SiD Diploma Portfolio Instructions (webinar recording, PDF slides)
- State Adult Diploma Resources & Guidance (revised on January 15, 2015): Guidance for ABE consortia through the standards, procedures, tools, application and other resources needed to operate a State Adult Diploma Program. (PDF Version)
- Statewide Standard Adult High School Pilot Evaluation Report (updated October 2015): Brief summary of the initial pilot period with the 13 standard adult high school diploma programs
To see the MDE-ABE policy on adult diplomas, visit the Policy section of this website and open the Adult Diploma policy.
To find ABE programs that offer Adult Diploma, visit the Adult Literacy Hotline by clicking on the link in the upper right.